Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Impulsive

For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete. 2Cor 10:3-5 ESV

The world is unprincipled. It's dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn't fight fair. But we don't live or fight our battles that way—never have and never will. The tools of our trade aren't for marketing or manipulation, but they are for demolishing that entire massively corrupt culture. We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ. Our tools are ready at hand for clearing the ground of every obstruction and building lives of obedience into maturity. 2Cor 10:3-5 The Message

It’s a snow day today and I’m having my coffee and spending a wonderfully sweet time in the word while the house is still quiet. The fact that I have teenage sons affords me quite a bit of time. I won’t see their sweet faces till at least noon I’m sure.

It has been a sweet, peaceful morning for me. All this snow drew my mind back to those big snows in Bowling Green, OH and my first impulse was to miss BG. To miss being snowed in, turning on the fireplace, having Patrick over, watching TV, playing cards, both boys home, Patrick and the boys playing ciaos ball, on and on the list could go. After that first fleeting thought my next thought was, how impulsive am I??? I am a very impulsive person. My mind is so full of emotion and impulse. Someone wants to do something I’m the first to go. I meet someone and I think they are just the greatest person I want to be with them forever. I see something and I think I have got to have that and set about figuring out how to get it NOW. I am just impulsive and emotional. Have I mentioned that?? Ha Ha

All of this made me think of Peter. How impulsive was that guy? When Christ told him he would deny him three times he was like “No Way, me?” and then sure enough first words out of his mouth “I have no idea who that guy is”. That is sooo me!!! I love these verses. I love both translations. I love the words from The Message, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ.

Here’s the beauty of His Word, we can take those thoughts captive. We can with the help of the Holy Spirit destroy those thoughts. We can draw our minds into obedience by training them with The Word. It has helped me so much memorizing scripture. Just knowing, trusting, and believing God for my past, present, and future. He’s the God of the Universe and He loves us with a never ending love. A love that is full of grace and mercy for us. What better place to rest, what better journey to take....

0 comments:

Post a Comment